Report: Interior Seeks to Shrink National Monuments
Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke recommended that President Trump reduce the area of four national monuments, including Bears Ears in Utah, according to a leaked memo obtained by the Washington Post. Three others are slated to have their borders reduced, and Zinke also recommended that some restrictions on grazing, logging, coal mining and commercial fishing be lifted for a total of 10 monuments. The full list of national monuments affected:
- Bears Ears: boundary revision
- Cascade-Siskiyou: boundary revision to allow timber harvesting
- Gold Butte: boundary revision
- Grand Staircase-Escalante: boundary revision
- Katahdin Woods and Waters: timber harvesting
- Northeast Canyons and ... Log in to view full article.